Top Knots and Curly Locks

Sunday, December 7, 2014

NYC: It's Been A Long Time

If you know me at all, you know I LOVE New York City.  I lived there every summer during college.  It had been a long time since I'd been back for a visit: 2 years and 4 months to be exact.  Way too long.  I was lucky enough to have a short visit this past week and made the most of every moment.  My dad was teaching, so I tagged along with my parents.  He worked while Mom and I played.

We got into the city Tuesday evening.  After an hour and a half taxi ride from the airport to our hotel (what a warm welcome back) we checked into the hotel and headed out for dinner.  We went to one of our favorite Spanish restaurants, Meson Sevilla.  A girl I interned with, Megan, joined us for dinner.  There were four of us for dinner and we ended up ordering five desserts!  As my dad said, "That sounds about right!"

Our five desserts

Wednesday, Mom and I hit the ground running.  We went across the street to get bagels from the deli, then headed to Radio City Music Hall to pick up our tickets to see the "Radio City Rockettes Christmas Spectacular".  This was at least my third time seeing the show, but it never gets old; plus, the show changes from year to year.  I sat there in awe of the dancers' precision.  If you ever get the chance to see the Rockettes, do it!

Mom and I before the show

Radio City is beautiful

After the show, Mom and I hustled around Midtown trying to decide on what musical we wanted to see that afternoon.  We ended up seeing "Sideshow".  I didn't know much about the show except it was based on, well, a sideshow act.  I was blown away by the true story of conjoined twins Daisy and Violet Hilton.  I am now fascinated with the sisters who overcame abuse to become one of the biggest acts in Vaudeville.  Now I want to learn everything I can about them.  It's a moving story and I'd be lying if I said I didn't have some tears in my eyes by the end.  It was a special performance because it was the first time the understudy for Violet, Megan McGinnis, went on.

While we waited for Dad to get off work to meet for dinner, Mom and I headed to Sprinkles.  I entered a contest on Thanksgiving to win a dozen cupcakes for free and I did!

After picking up my cupcakes

Once Dad got off work, we met up with a family friend for dinner at an Italian restaurant before we went and saw the musical "The Last Ship" that Sting wrote.  This wasn't my top pick of shows that I wanted to see, but again, by the end of the show, I had tears in my eyes.  While we were in the show, news broke that the police officer in the Eric Garner choke hold death would not be indicted.  By the time we got out of the show, protests were in full force.  We saw the tail end of one as we walked to our hotel.

Thursday started out the same way, Mom and I got bagels for breakfast and then we walked around until we had to change hotels.  Earlier in November, my picture was on a billboard in Times Square as part of a promotion for "People's Sexiest Man Alive" Issue.  I was determined to find the billboard where it was and I found it!

My picture, on my birthday in Times Square

Look familiar?  Here's my billboard ... sans me.

We moved to a hotel in SoHo that was closer to where my dad was filming his lectures.  I headed into Midtown before my parents to meet up with Megan and another fellow former intern, Danny.  It was good to see them after so long and catch up.  Once we parted ways, Michelle, a bridesmaid with me in Mary's wedding, was at work just a few blocks away at Nobu, so I ran to see her for a second before meeting my parents for dinner.

I surprised Michelle at work

We had dinner at a Thai place and then headed to see "If/Then" starring Idina Menzel and Anthony Rapp.  The show is about a woman who moves to New York trying to restart her life.  The story then has two plots, showing what would have happened if the main character picked one choice and then if she would have picked the other option.  The plot of the show was brilliant.  As a big "What if?" person, the show really spoke to me and showed me that things will happen the way they're supposed to.  It's a show that really makes you think.  It's different and doesn't follow the typical arc of a show.  And again, I had tears by the end of the show.

Friday was my last day in the city, Mom and I spent it by exploring SoHo and window shopping.  Then we had lunch and she put me in a taxi and sent me to the airport.  I did a better job not crying in the backseat, unlike the last time I left the city.

While it was a short trip, it was a great one!  I miss you already, NYC!  I promise it won't be another 2 years and 4 months before I'm back!


No comments:

Post a Comment