Top Knots and Curly Locks

Friday, April 8, 2011

Foundation

I have had a terrible time with finding the perfect foundation.  I'd have it applied in the store and buy it, then a few hours later or when I applied it the next day, it turned orange on me.  I've tried countless brands ranging all over the spectrum from department stores to specialty stores and even drugstores.  I've tried Clinique, Prescriptives, Smashbox, Tarte, Almay, MAC, and many more.  My mom used to blame me and say I was applying it too heavily or I didn't blend it well enough, part of which might have been true.  It wasn't until two years ago that we found out what was actually causing the problem.  I learned that my skin has a reaction with ingredients in foundation which causes it to turn orange, to oxidize.

Oxidation has to do with body chemistry.  While the exact cause is unknown, it's speculated it has to do with the PH, or acidity, of skin.  This reaction with the titanium dioxide, iron oxide and zinc oxide is more than likely what causes the foundation to turn orange.  While it is nearly impossible to find foundations without those ingredients in it, I have finally found one that works fairly well with my skin and smells good, too.  I've recently started using Cover Girl NatureLuxe and so far, it has been working.  When I looked at the ingredients it only says that it may contain iron oxide and titanium dioxide so I figured I would try it -- plus, I love their spokesperson, Taylor Swift!

Just remember, while this may work for me, everyone's body chemistry is different so what works for one person may not work for another.  Hopefully, you don't even have the problem of foundation oxidizing; but, if you do, I feel your pain and good luck in your search for the perfect foundation!

No comments:

Post a Comment