Top Knots and Curly Locks

Monday, May 30, 2011

Strawberry Champagne Cupcakes


Lately, cupcakes have been becoming more and more popular.  Last summer when I lived in the city, I can't even begin to tell you how many different cupcake places I tried.  Along with eating them, I love making cupcakes and have been on the search for a good strawberry champagne cupcake.  I found this recipe today and in honor of "The Bachelorette", I decided to make them tonight.  I added some tweaks of my own and have added that in with the recipe I'm giving you.  Be on the lookout tomorrow for my recap of "The Bachelorette" and how you can get Ashley's outfits for a fraction of the cost.

Cupcake Ingredients
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 cup pureed fresh strawberries
3 eggs, separated
1 cup extra-dry champagne (I use Cooks)
1/2 cup butter, melted
1/2 cup vegetable oil

Icing Ingredients
1 cup butter, softened
2 pounds powdered sugar
1/3 cup pureed strawberries
1 teaspoon vanilla

Cupcake Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line muffin pan

Sift together flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in medium bowl

In a mixer, mix together the strawberry puree, champagne, egg yolks, butter and vegetable oil on medium speed.  Turn the speed down to medium-low and add the dry ingredients a little at a time.  Once all combined, set aside.  Next, beat the egg whites into a meringue until peaks form.  Gently fold the whites into the rest of the batter.

Fill the cupcake liners 3/4 of the way full and bake for 20 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.  Cool the cupcakes completely before icing.

Icing Directions
Cream the butter until it is light and fluffy then slowly add in the powdered sugar.  If it gets too thick, add in some of the strawberry puree.  Keep adding the sugar in a little bit at a time while scraping down the sides so it all gets mixed together.  Once it's all blended, add the strawberry puree and vanilla and mix.  If the icing is too thick for your liking, you can always add champagne to thin it out; just eyeball the amount.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment