Top Knots and Curly Locks

Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Top 8: Beauty Secrets


Growing up in dance classes and musical theatre, I joke that I can only count to eight since almost everything is done in an eight count.  In honor of that, I have decided to do "Top 8".  Here are my Top 8 Beauty Secrets.

8. Curly Haired Girls: Ditch the Sodium Laurel Sulfate
I learned this trick years ago and it really does work.  Sodium laurel sulfate strips away some of the natural curl.  Just because a shampoo or conditioner says it's for curly hair doesn't mean it's sodium laurel sulfate-free.  Be sure to check the ingredients, it's usually one of the first few listed.  Two of the best shampoos I've found are Chi and Big Sexy (either in curls or silky, both are great!).

7. Eye Cream isn't Just for Below the Eyes
It's never too early to start using eye cream.  Right now I'm using Tibetan Goji Eye Serum.  I got it in my FabFitFun box (go here to sign up and you'll save $10 off your first box!) and love it!  A little bit goes a long way with this stuff!  Eye cream isn't just for below your eye though, dermatologists say to massage it onto the lid and take it as far up as the brow.

6. Use Your Ring Finger
When it comes to anything with your eyes from putting eye cream on to gently pulling on your lid to put on eye liner, always always always use your ring finger.  It is the weakest of all the fingers, therefore it causes the least amount of damage.  Remember, the eye is one of the most delicate areas.

5. Never Brush Wet Hair
Your hair is at its weakest when it is wet so never brush it.  Use a wide-tooth comb or your fingers if you must.  If your hair is tangled, start combing it gently from the bottom then work your way up.

4. Pulse Points for Perfume
First and foremost, never rub your perfume; it crushes the molecules of the fragrance and ruins the scent.  I was always taught to dab it inside my wrist but recently I've found some new places.  It's best to spritz your perfume where you have pulse points, areas where blood vessels are close to skin and that are constantly emitting heat.  These areas stay moist and perfume applied to these areas will stay longer.  Some of the best pulse points are your inner elbows, the backs of your knees, behind your ears and your lower throat area.

3. Not Too Hot, Not Too Cold, But Just Right
Water temperature is very important.  We've all heard if we want shiny hair to rinse in cold water, if it's too hot it can make hair look dull.  When it comes to washing our faces if the water is too hot, it can dry skin out; if it's too cold, it won't open pores enough to clean them.  Also, when washing your face, lather up for 30-45 seconds, that's the time it takes to fully dissolve dirt and oil.

2. Retinol
Retinol is a form of Vitamin A that has been popping up in products everywhere especially in acne and anti-aging treatments.  It helps with skin cell turnover and penetrates the outer layer of skin and works to repair the lower layers of skin which results in firmer, smoother skin.  Along with necks, hands give away a woman's age.  I noticed a few weeks ago the backs of my hands looked dull.  I recently read to put retinol on them and since I have some that I use for my face, I decided I would try it.  I noticed the next morning my hands didn't look nearly as dull and my veins didn't appear to protrude as much.  It's recommended to apply it twice a week and I always follow up with a hand cream.

1. The Best Time to Apply Deodorant
The most effective time to apply deodorant is at night, right before you do to bed.  Your body temperature is more regulated at night and skin is calm and dry.  This allows the deodorant to penetrate more deeply into sweat ducts and lasts the whole next day.

No comments:

Post a Comment