Top Knots and Curly Locks

Monday, July 27, 2015

NYC Part 2

My family left the city Thursday and I headed to Spanish Harlem to stay with a friend.  We ordered Seamless for the first time and this was our order ... for two people!

Friday, I headed back into midtown for a networking event.  I picked up Earl of Sandwich and took it back to my hotel room to eat while getting ready.

Feeling all professional as I headed out to my networking event.

And this is what it looks like to make someone appear professional.

After the event, I walked around Times Square and saw this guy.  He can deliver those flowers to my hotel room! ;)  He has one lucky significant other.

Saturday consisted of lots of walking around midtown.  This was my lunch before I went and saw the off-Broadway show Of Good Stock.

Ohmygosh, ladies, this sushi was so good!  And I don't even like sushi!  I found a vegan sushi place called Beyond Sushi.  This was the La Fiesta and it was black rice, avocado, chayote pickled jalapeño, cilantro and a chili mango sauce.  DELICIOUS!

Saturday evening my friend and I went to see That Bachelorette Show.  It's a spoof of The Bachelorette where the audience gets to vote on who "wins."  It was such a spoof that there was a pilot (ahem, Jake), a farmer (remember Chris?), a doctor (just like Travis!) and even a guy who made his entrance on a skateboard (Jef, much?).  During the "group dates" the bachelors come out into the audience and dance with them.  It was a fun experience and would be a blast for a bachelorette party.

I finally broke down and bought tickets to see Jim Parsons in An Act of God.  It was hilarious!  I don't know how it's possible, but Jim is even more adorable in real life than he is on TV.  I just love him!  During the show, they rewrite the 10 commandments.  I felt guilty for laughing, but it was just so funny.

After the show, I went to church at Hillsong.  If you're in the NYC or LA area, I recommend checking out this church.  It was such a great service and by the end of the first prayer I was in tears.  I can't tell you the last time I've been moved like that in a church service.  The sermon was entitled "All I Do is Win" and talked about how with Jesus on our side, we've already won.

Once the service ended, I went to see Penn & Teller on Broadway.  Guys, I know magic isn't real, but I don't get how they do it.  I was amazed the whole show at all the different tricks.

Monday was my last day in the city and I met a friend from college, who was also in town, at the Freedom Tower.  This was my first time visiting since the tower has been completed.

We visited the museum and I found this map and got chills.  Paul Ambrose was from my hometown and was on Flight 77.  This map shows where the flight turned around, right over Huntington.  It's been nearly 14 years since the attack and I never knew this.  How fitting is it that Paul's last flight turned around right over his hometown?  Cue the waterworks.

This beam of steel was the point of impact on the North Tower.  The museum is powerful and it's hard to believe the items in it are real.  They're so mangled and look like something you'd see in a modern art exhibit.

"No day shall erase you from the memory of time." -- Virgil

"The Survivors' Stairs"

This is the memorial urn and has the name of every person who died in the attack.  Out of all the sides that could be facing me, this side did...the side with Paul Ambrose's name...the victim from my hometown.  Cue the chills again.

The antenna from the North Tower.

One of the firetrucks that responded to the scene.

After the museum, we went to the observation deck and went to the 100th floor.

What a view!

The Statue of Liberty.






We ordered from Seamless again for dinner that night and I sadly packed my bags to get ready for my flight home the next day.  Until next time, New York City!

No comments:

Post a Comment