Top Knots and Curly Locks

Thursday, September 10, 2015

NYFW Day 1: Daniel Silverstain Show

Fall may be on the horizon, but in NYC it's all about Spring/Summer of next year.  While tomorrow officially kicks off Fashion Week, some shows started today (I'm considering it the start of my Fashion Week) and I hit the ground running.  I had to be at Shop Studios at 8 a.m. for Daniel Silverstain's show.

Daniel is a former musician who discovered his love of fashion design while in India.  His career started in Israel where he was the Visual Merchandising Director for the Israeli branch of Keds Kids.  Upon moving to New York City in 2009, Silverstain attended Fashion Institute of Technology.  While attending school, he was selected to collaborate with Muuse, a fashion group that partners with up and coming designers to help them make their collections a reality and sell them to the public.  This collaboration led to Silverstain being named one of VOGUE Italy Muuse Top Ten Promising Designers in 2011.  He has been recognized by the CFDA "for his outstanding achievement in Womenswear Design."




Before the show, one of my jobs was to check models in and out of hair, make up and nails.

A quick nervous smile before showtime!  During the show, some models had seconds looks so I had to make sure they changed and were lined up in the new order.  I also lined up the models for the finale.

All smiles after the show!

Once the show was complete, the models lined the runway so the audience could get an up close and personal look at the clothes.

This was by far my favorite guest in attendance.  I don't even know the dog's name and didn't see it until the end, but look how precious it is!  It was so well behaved. (Freedom, if you're reading this, take note of how well-behaved dogs get to go to fashion shows!)

That's a wrap for day one!  While I was cleaning up the model area, several of them came to the kitchen sink to wash their hair before running off to other shows, castings or fittings.  One of the girls even asked me to wash her hair!  As an intern, I figured it was my job so I did.  I've curled model's hair at school fashion shows while covering it as a reporter, but I would never have guessed I'd be washing an actual model's hair during New York Fashion Week.  I'm considering adding that as a skill to my resume! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment