Top Knots and Curly Locks

Sunday, December 14, 2014

12 Cookies of Christmas: Day 3

For today's cookie, we're making Chocolate Swirl Cookies.  The first time I made these for my family, they were an instant hit.  After my dad's first bite, he told me I had to make them for our open house.  Without further ado, I give you the recipe!


Chocolate Swirl Cookies

Ingredients:
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk
1 tablespoon shortening
3/4 cup butter at room temperature
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3/4 cup brown sugar, packed
2 cups flour, measured then sifted
milk
Sprinkles (optional)

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees
In a double boiler, melt: chocolate, sweetened condensed milk and shortening until combined; set aside to cool slightly
Cream together: butter, salt, vanilla and sugar
Slowly add in flour and mix well
Add in a few splashes of milk to help hold the batter together (I tried measuring out, but am not exactly sure.  I'd say I ended up using 1/4 cup, but add in slowly -- you can always add in more, not subtract)
Divide dough into thirds
Roll out into a 10 by 6 inch rectangle (be sure to do this on a floured surface or wax paper)
Spread each rectangle with the chocolate filling
Starting at the 10 inch side, carefully roll up
Place on parchment paper to bake
Add sprinkles (optional)
Bake for 20-25 minutes
Allow to cool before slicing

Enjoy!

Missed out on the other 12 Cookies of Christmas?  Check them out here!

No comments:

Post a Comment