Top Knots and Curly Locks

Friday, September 18, 2015

Friday Favorites

I'm linking up with NarciAndrea and Erika to share this week's Friday Favorites!  This week's favorites are all items that have helped me survive fashion week.

Before ever riding in an Uber, I was totally skeptical.  Some random person comes and picks you up in their car and drives you somewhere?  How can you trust them?  I'm pretty sure I'd read articles about people being abducted and raped.  (I did work in the news industry for a year and a half as well as watch waaaaaay too much Law & Order: SVU.)  I used a ride service for the first time in LA with a friend and realized it wasn't so bad.  After arriving in NYC, I had Uber credit so I decided to put it to use.  You guys, I'm obsessed with it now!  It's cheaper (and nicer!) than a cab and tipping isn't expected!  In fact, once you arrive to your destination, your card is automatically charged.  Their website even says, "there's no need to tip."  I used it so much during fashion week and never had to wait more than 5 minutes for a car.  It's so much easier than hailing down a taxi only to have them tell you they won't drive you to your destination (even though that's against the law).  I tried UberPool (where they can pick up one other passenger going along the same route and you split the fare) the other day because I had a credit specifically for that; we never picked up another person and I still got the cheap rate!  If you've never used Uber before, download the app and enter the code angelap751 for $20 off your first ride.  And while we're at it, download Lyft and enter ANGELA209716 for $20 off your first ride.  You might as well download Gett and enter GTCKOLM for $30 off your first ride!  Stick with me and you'll rarely pay full price for anything! ;)

Alright, I know I've already used my Gnome Charger as a favorite once, but it saved my life so many times this week!  I was on my phone A. LOT. for work and it drained my battery.  Luckily, I have this charger and was able to plug my phone in and carry it around with me as I worked instead of being tethered to a wall while my phone charged.  By the way, have you seen this?

I feel like I should write Jimmy a thank you for this hilarious thank you.  It's so true!  With my Gnome Charger, though, I'm leash-free!

Another favorite is in that charger picture, my Kindle!  I'm staying with a friend on 181st Street and working on 28th Street.  Thanks to my Kindle, the 30-45 minute subway ride seems to fly by!  I either download an episode of TV to watch, or read a book and before I know it, I'm at my stop.  I was against e-readers for so long until I traveled out of the country and realized I couldn't carry enough books for more than 30 hours of flying and almost as many layovers, plus the two and a half weeks I was in Brazil.  I borrowed my mom's Kindle and realized how much easier it made traveling.  That Christmas, Santa brought me a Kindle of my own!  Mom must have told him she was tired of sharing! ;)  Don't get me wrong, I still prefer an actual book, but with as much traveling as I've done lately, it's been great!

TRESemme offered a pop-up shop where you could get your hair done FOR FREE!  (Remember how earlier in the post I said to stick with me and you'll rarely pay full price for anything?  Prime example right here!)  They offered it 24/7 throughout all of fashion week.  I don't know why I didn't discover it until Tuesday, but once I did, I may have hit it up twice!  The lady who did my hair the first time said they'd had some people come in two and three times in one day so I didn't feel badly going 2 times in 3 days.

The first day I opted for beach waves, but are you guys ready for my next styling?!?

#straighthairdontcare!!  When's the last time you've seen me with straight hair?  Let me answer that for you, maaaaybe winter if not earlier.  I honestly can't tell you the last time I straightened it.  I feel like my hair gets really dry if I straighten it (more so than when I curl it), plus I have so. much. hair. that it's just easier to wash it, stick the dryer on it for 2 songs (see what I'm talking about here) and call it a day.  Guys, there are some friends I've had for years and they've seen me with straight hair, once, maybe twice, if they're lucky.  Also, when did my hair get this long?!?!  Between curls/waves and having my hair pulled up for the past few weeks while prepping and working fashion week, I had no idea my hair had gotten this long!

And last, but certainly not least, my not-just-Friday-but-all-day-every-day-favorite is Jesus.  I was riding the subway yesterday and had my headphones in when I heard the lady next to me mention the movie War Room.  I haven't seen it yet but really want to -- for those of you who don't know, it's a Christian movie.  I quickly took my headphones out and started talking to her about the movie.  She was so sweet and we talked about the movie 90 Minutes in Heaven and I told her about the Broadway show Amazing Grace; a show about the song and John Newton, the writer.  When my exit came, she told me to get home safely and have a blessed day.  I quickly texted my mom and said "Jesus made me a friend on the subway!"  Earlier this week while riding the subway, someone got on the train and started asking for money.  It always breaks my heart to see this, but I didn't do anything.  Then I saw someone hand the person food from their bag.  It made my heart so happy to see this small act of kindness and to know that God was right there on the subway, who knows how far under the city of New York, with us.  I remembered I had a granola bar in my purse and made sure to give it to the next person I saw asking for money.

Have a great weekend! xo

No comments:

Post a Comment